Spring 2014 Projects
Day to Engage In a Healthy Lifestyle!
The following is a list of projects for the Spring 2014 Day to Engage on Thursday, April 3rd. If you have questions or would like to sign up for any of these, please look out for your Engage Student Ambassador on campus or email your school at email@example.com, firstname.lastname@example.org, or email@example.com.
Boys and Girls Club
- Volunteers are needed to build/expand the community garden at the Boys and Girls Club
- Number of volunteers needed: 7 more volunteers needed
- Meet at the Boys and Girls Club located at 123 Foster Street (beside Gibson Elementary)
Cardinal Village Youth Center
- Volunteers are needed to work in the community garden at Cardinal Village Youth Center
- Number of volunteers needed: FILLED
- Meet at the Youth Center located at 1004 Bonner Avenue (behind DCC)
Dan River Autism Awareness 5k
'Art for Autism' is a creative community awareness campaign to inform the Dan River Region about autism spectrum disorder through the use of window art displayed throughout the month of April, which is National Autism Awareness Month. The artwork will have a theme related to autism, and will include a fact about the disorder.
Volunteers are needed to paint the artwork and accompanying fact about autism on the windows of local businesses in the downtown Danville area.
- Number of volunteers needed: 7 more volunteers needed (6 groups of 2-3 per window)
- All paint, stencils, and supplies will be provided.
- Meet at the new parking lot next to First Citizens Bank on Main St.
Danville Parks and Recreation
PLAY TO ENGAGE!
Play to Engage is the main project for the Spring 2014 Day to Engage. As a way to promote healthy lifestyles in our region, we have partnered with Danville Parks and Recreation to create a "play day" for the children and youth in the area's afterschool programs. There will be different activities for the participants, including a dance walk, tug-of-war, soccer, sack races, and basketball. All of these activities will be run by Day to Engage volunteers. Each participant will also have a Day to Engage volunteer partnered with them as they go around to each activity.
Volunteers can sign up for one of three groups:
1. Welcome and registration (please arrive by 3:30) (FILLED)
2. Help run an activity station (tug-of-war, sack races, jump rope, etc.) (5 more volunteers needed)
3. 'Friend for a Day' and partner with a participant to accompany around each activity (100 more volunteers needed)
- Number of volunteers needed: 200
- Meet at the Carrington Pavilion (629 Craghead Street behind the Community Market)
Get Fit Dan River Region
- Volunteers are needed to pass out fresh produce and healthy recipes to residents in three different neighborhoods: Pleasant View, Cedar Terrace, and Cardinal Village (requires 3 vans/trucks)
- Number of volunteers needed: 10
- Meet at the Community Market (Craghead Street) to load the produce into the vans
Piedmont Community College
- Volunteers are needed to create a community garden on campus at Piedmont Community College
- Number of volunteers needed: 50